Thursday, March 3, 2011

Using the Cupcake automated build platform

I finally assembled the build platform hoping I could start kicking out several parts at a time. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and I assembled the belt inside out. But hey, stupid me, I decided to go with it anyway - and discovered I couldn't print anything since the belt surface was too slippery! Turns out the plastic has two sides. One side is very slippery and the other is not as much. So, word to the wise. If when you're done, the stripe appears on the right as in the photo...you did it wrong too.

The other parts of the build were rather straightforward in having images for every major step. That is, except for one. I couldn't find a photo where the build platform motor plugs into a board. I eventually figured it out. How? Well, when looking at the instructions, it turns out, I had to read rather than just look at pictures. So, for those of us who like looking at pictures rather than reading, I made a quick reference image to show what wires go to what connectors.

Anyway, the second time I used the platform with the belt on the proper way, all did not go well. The makerbot briefly lost it's brains and tried forcing the hot extruder head through the platform. This then melted the plastic conveyor belt. The next instruction then dragged the extruder head over the belt making a giant gouge in the belt and also dented the metalized platform.

So, rather than repair the conveyor, I've decided to just use the heated build platform by itself. Someday, I may go back to using the build platform but I'll need to stock up on some spare belts first!