Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Building the X-Y stage

The next steps are before and after shots. With the exception of the orange build platform holes being a little off from the wooden build platform and having to use occasional sandpaper on a tab or two, the Y-stage build went pretty well. The maker bot logo on the wood platform should be on the other side (and magnets reversed of course). However, after realizing my mistake, I just went with it anyway. I figure the logo, showing through the plastic, makes a nice effect. The plastic is held on by m3x16 screws so if I decide to try different build platform materials, it should not be difficult to swap out.

The X stage, where the Y-Stage sits on went OK as well. I did need to get out the Dremil cutting wheel to trim 5mm off of the black idler wheel bolt. The small silver stepper motor wheel was quite difficult to push get onto the stepper motor shaft. (and yes, I did take out the hex nuts before trying) I finally resorted to using a dab of graphite oil to convince it to fit on the stepper motor shaft.

After moving the idler wheel back to tighten the belt, I found the closer the movable Y-platform got to the stepper motor, the more resistance there was to free movement. Is it a design defect? Silly me, I put the "Y" platform on backwards! Fortunately, the design uses more "screws" than "glues" so this kind of thing is easy to fix. One complication I ran into was with motor mount screws. I only have 6 and I need 12. Lowes didn't have Hex M3 screws which is just as well since they would want quite a bit for each one since they are sold individually! Fortunately, the kit provides lots of extra 16mm screws so I'll cut some down to the 10mm size so I can use them for the X and Z motors should they be needed in later steps. Anyway, here's a series of photos showing the build platform as it is so far.

Oh, and if you're using end stops, the rear X-bar holder is on backwards. Just flip it. Both end-stop mounts should be on the near side as in the photo below. In fact, it's probably not a bad time to construct and install the Y end stop boards (and make some paperclip wire holders) now while the stage is easily worked on. So, if you have end stops, check out how to install them HERE.