Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Assembling the filament spindle

I decided to splurge and get the makerbot filament dispensing kit too. Although I could have made something similar, I didn't want to have this step be a project stopper.

Just like previous parts of the kit, you get a box of wood and some hardware to put it together with. Since I really didn't want to take a lot of time on this step, I didn't bother finishing the wood before starting.

I found I had to sand a few tabs to pre-fit some of the parts. Unlike the instructions, I decided to construct the main box first. After screwing it together, I also decided to put hot-glue on the joints which might help reduce dust and moisture that could cause problems later.
After assembling the main box, I assembled the bottom part of the reel, then did a test fit inside the box. Perfect! Testing the reel top, I found I had to sand the rib tabs before the top of the reel would would pre-fit. Even using sticky tape to hold nuts in each of the reel ribs, it took a while to line all the pieces up for a test fit. Finally, the plastic coil was put on the reel, ribs lined up, bolts put in. Then the whole assembly was lifted into the box and bolted in. The steps I took are shown below.
Before the final step of screwing the cover on, be sure to feed some plastic out the top (see upper right where plastic comes out the brass fitting). And....we're done for tonight!