Saturday, January 8, 2011

extruder assembling - attempt#1

Finally! Here's what I anticipate would be the hardest part of the build. Fortunately, the instructions are very good so I have very little to add. It takes a while. Also, I used silver solder on the resistor heaters rather than regular solder. Hope it holds! Once done, this assembly looks like it's all ready to bolt into the plastic arch I constructed earlier. But wait! Let's do a final electric test. Resisters test as they should. Darn! The thermistor tests open! After cutting the Klapton tape off and carefully removing the white insulation strips to inspect the component, I concluded the solder joint was fine but the component is dead. So, I need another. Since I have a habit of breaking delicate parts such as these, I ordered two more & I figure I might as well also order a motor mount insert kit too since shipping is such a large part of the order. Hopefully, the law of spares will prevail and I will only need one of the two thermistors.

POST CONSTRUCTION NOTES:
  • Upon testing, I found that plumbing solder (with silver) worked great for connecting the heater resistors. Higher temperatures (even to 260c) were no problem.
  • It turns out I didn't need to order another thermistor after all. After ordering, I discovered that I had my multimeter Ohm setting set to the high range! Setting to low showed all thermistors working fine. Doh!
  • Also, there is ONE change to the extruder instructions for the MK5 to be aware of. It is the orientation of the drive gear. In the instructions, it MIGHT have a photo of the gear installed backwards. If so, that's wrong. See photo below as to why (click to enlarge).