Saturday, January 15, 2011

A SCARY ELECTROSTATIC MOMENT

While taking a voltage measurement on the relay board, I saw a little electrostatic shock happen off my meter probe The whole system then abruptly shut off! Power cycling the power supply didn't cause the fan to turn on. Pressing the little switch and even the "reset" button on the motherboard didn't fix it either.

However, there were some interesting symptoms. Although the motherboard didn't power up, it did sometimes flash some red lights near the USB connector when "reset" was pressed. I suspect this was due to USB having power from the PC.

So, here's the first attempt at solving the problem. Maybe the power supply was confused. Unplug the connector from the motherboard. Short the green & black wires together. All boards other than the motherboard then came back to life. This was good.

Second attempt. I read that even though the power supply FAN wasn't working, the motherboard may indeed be getting power from the supply. If so, it might just need it's firmware reloaded. So, I figured, what the heck. Give it a try. So, I found the "update firmware" option in the menus. Tried the latest edition. The blinking light changed to a steady red & I got a notice that firmware reload was successful. Whew! Amazing as it seems, that recovery procedure worked.